Jennifer is a passionate advocate and skilled litigator. She focuses her practice on insurance coverage disputes, bad faith litigation and personal injury litigation.
She is the co-chair of the firm’s Insurance Law & Coverage practice group. She regularly advises clients on a wide array of insurance coverage issues involving both first and third party coverages, including commercial general liability coverage, commercial and personal auto coverage, homeowners’ coverage and property coverage. She has represented insurers in numerous declaratory judgment actions in both state and federal courts, and she has also authored numerous publications and given many presentations on various insurance coverage issues.
Jennifer also routinely handles cases involving insurance bad faith, premises liability, motor vehicle negligence and homeowners’ association disputes. She has particular experience and interest in handling uninsured and underinsured motorist claims and has an in depth understanding of the intricacies of the laws governing such claims. No matter what type of case she is litigating, Jennifer strives to help her clients develop cost-effective resolution strategies and, when necessary, aggressively represents their interests in court.
Jennifer is a Raleigh native. In her spare time, she enjoys cooking, exercising, gardening and spending time with her husband, Matt, and their two daughters, Grayson and Caroline.
Cases or matters referenced do not represent the lawyer’s entire record. Each case is unique and must be evaluated on its own merits. The outcome of a particular case cannot be predicated upon a lawyer’s or a law firm’s past results.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of underinsured motorist carrier in matter where plaintiff insured claimed he was entitled to $1,000,000 in UIM coverage due to insurer’s failure to obtain effective selection/rejection form from the named insured.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of the defendant in a wrongful death action involving whether a property owner owed a legal duty to the employees of a contractor making improvements to the owner’s property.
- Obtained summary judgment for defendant insurance carrier in a matter involving a dispute in which plaintiff sought coverage under an excess workers’ compensation policy for an occurrence that took place outside of the policy period and therefore afforded no coverage for the subject loss.
- Obtained reimbursement for insurer in primary/excess declaratory judgment action in the United States District Court.
Articles, Presentations, and Publications
- Co-authored NC portion of DRI Duty to Defend Compendium (2016)
- “Insurance Bad Faith: Conduct Counts” – article for JD Supra (2013)
- Co-authored NC portion of DRI Professional Liability Insurance Compendium (2012)
- Speaker, Flood Insurance Seminar, 2012 & 2015
- Speaker, “Automobile Insurance Coverage,” Insurance Law 2008, Wake Forest University School of Law
- Speaker, “Insurance Law,” Twenty-Eighth Annual Review NC 2008, Wake Forest University School of Law
- Speaker, “Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Claims,” Automobile Litigation: Strategic Issues and Answers, National Business Institute, 2007
- “Summary of North Carolina Motor Vehicle Law” – Client presentation (2005)
- “Record Retention and Management” – Client presentation (2004)
Most Recent Posts
Cranfill Sumner & Hartzog LLP (CSH Law) today announced that 11 attorneys have recently received an AV® Rating from Martindale-Hubbell.… Read More
In the recent case of Dion v. Batten, No. COA16-63, 2016 WL 4088417 (N.C. App. Aug. 2, 2016), the North… Read More
Emily Goodman & Jennifer Welch are featured in Midtown Magazine answering readers’ questions about legal issues including employment, divorce and DUIs.… Read More
Jennifer Welch has been named the Co-Chair of CSH Law’s Insurance Law and Coverage Practice Group.… Read More
Jennifer Welch, an attorney with Cranfill Sumner & Hartzog LLP’s Raleigh office, recently joined the Insurance Committee for the Claims and Litigation Management Alliance (CLM).… Read More
Jennifer Welch, an attorney with CSH Law, is appointed to the Committee for Working Mothers with the Greater Raleigh Chamber of Commerce. … Read More
Bad faith claims are on the rise in North Carolina. As an insurer, you must familiarize yourself with the possible… Read More
Ten CSH Law attorneys were selected as 2013 North Carolina Super Lawyers and 14 CSH Law attorneys were selected as 2013 North Carolina Rising Stars.… Read More
CSH Law, names three new partners with diverse litigation experience: Ginger Hunsucker, Todd King, and Jennifer Welch.… Read More