Our attorneys educate and counsel clients on creative and cost-effective ways to resolve their disputes, including alternative dispute resolution (ADR) options like mediation and arbitration.
The ADR Practice Group is chaired by Richard Boyette, recognized as a well respected mediator in North Carolina. He developed an active mediation practice in the early 1990s and has mediated more than 1,600 disputes in a broad range of subject matters.
CSH attorneys from all practice groups work to help clients avoid litigation through various ADR methods.
- Our Business Law Practice Group counsels clients on the inclusion of arbitration and mediation clauses in key contracts.
- Our attorneys are often asked to serve as arbitrators or mediators to settle disputes.
- Ten of our attorneys are North Carolina Dispute Resolution Commission-certified mediators, including Richard Boyette, Buck Copeland, Dan Hartzog, Dawn Lane, John Ong, Amy Pfeiffer, Russell Racine, Benton Toups, Nick Valaoras, and J. Greer Vanderberry, Jr., and David Ward.
The ADR Practice Group also includes Collaborative Law. The firm’s Collaborative Law practice is led by John Ong who, in addition to serving as a mediator, is a member of the Collaborative Law Committee of the North Carolina Bar Associations’ Alternative Dispute Resolution Section and is a leader in the initiative to bring Collaborative Law to the resolution of Civil Cases and Construction Disputes.
Collaborative law provides our clients with another alternative to traditional legal dispute resolution that is fast, confidential, cost effective and that keeps the client directly in control of the matters most important to them.
The principles of Collaborative Law include:
- The parties and counsel sign a Collaborative Participation Agreement
- Open and transparent disclosure of all relevant information.
- Negotiation based on needs and interests and without the threat of litigation.
- Parties sitting down face to face, with counsel, to work through their dispute.
- Privacy and confidentiality.
- Shared use of neutral experts to provide information.
- Mandatory attorney withdrawal in the event of impasse.
The ADR Practice Group assists clients across the state in mediations and arbitrations from our offices in Raleigh, Charlotte, and Wilmington. For more information, contact Practice Group Chair Richard Boyette.
Most Recent Posts
John Ong, Chair of Collaborative Law at Cranfill Sumner & Hartzog LLP, will serve as a presenter at the “Civil Collaborative Practice Training” sponsored by the North Carolina Bar Association Foundation.… Read More
The Alternative Dispute Resolution Practice Group at Cranfill Sumner & Hartzog LLP (CSH Law) has been expanded to include Collaborative Law, which will be led by John Ong. Ong is the Vice-Chair of the CSH Law Construction Law Practice Group and is Certified by the North Carolina Dispute Resolution Commission to conduct Superior Court Mediations and is trained in Collaborative Law.… Read More
Attorneys chosen for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© 2017 Five attorneys from Cranfill Sumner & Hartzog LLP (CSH… Read More
Richard Boyette, an attorney in the Raleigh office of Cranfill Sumner & Hartzog LLP (CSH Law), has been selected as the 2015 Lawyer of the Year byNorth Carolina Lawyers Weekly, in connection with its Leaders in the Law program, co-sponsored by Elon University School of Law, which honors legal professionals who excel in their profession and community involvement.… Read More
Richard Boyette, Chair of the Alternative Dispute Resolution, Products Liability and Professional Liability Practice Groups at Cranfill Sumner & Hartzog LLP, has been appointed to the North Carolina Commission on the Administration of Law and Justice (NCCALJ). Richard was appointed by Chief Justice Mark Martin, who is convening the commission.… Read More
Richard Boyette will serve as the moderator for a panel discussion for the 2015 DRI Corporate Counsel Roundtable.… Read More
CSH Law announced that the National Foundation for Judicial Excellence created the Richard T. Boyette Award for Outstanding Contributions to the NFJE.… Read More
CSH Law is proud to announce that 25 of its attorneys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America©.… Read More
Twenty-three lawyers from CSH Law were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2013… Read More