The Aviation Law Practice Group at CSH Law is comprised of attorneys with extensive experience and knowledge of the issues facing the aviation industry. Practice Group Chair Susan Hofer is an FAA certificated pilot and FAA certified sUAS (Drone) Remote Pilot, who enjoys flying in her free time. Susan’s love of flying and her technical background in patent research give the Aviation Law team the advantage in effectively approaching and evaluating complex aviation cases by engaging and communicating with aviation clients and experts on many aviation industry, commercial and technical issues.
WHAT WE DO
The Aviation Law team helps aviation industry companies by:
- Investigating accidents and incidents involving aircraft and aviation products pre-suit for assessment of liability exposure and strategic defense planning;
- Handling insurance and workers’ compensation claims involving commercial, charter, and general aviation aircraft accidents and incidents, premises liability, as well as aviation insurance coverage litigation;
- Representing clients in all phases of litigation, including resolution of matters in settlement negotiations or mediated settlement conferences;
- Protecting your interests in aviation lawsuits at trial in the State and Federal courts, as well as aviation arbitrations and appeals;
- Providing legal advice as part of our representation of major air carriers, manufacturers, Part 135 operators, general aviation pilots, Fixed Base Operators, airports, aircraft owners and mechanics, and other airport vendors;
- Handling cases involving aviation products liability for manufacturing, technology and service companies that support the aviation industry;
- Handling aviation matters involving breach of contract, breach of warranties and related contractual claims;
- Protecting aviation and drone company’s trademarks and intellectual property rights;
- Analyzing global trade issues for aircraft and aircraft parts manufactures and distributors, including review and assistance with development of company policies on U.S customs and export regulations, including ITAR, EAR and OFAC compliance;
- Preparing and reviewing aviation contracts for companies with global business partners, including international supplier and/or distributor agreements, commercial contracts, commercial invoices, non-disclosure agreements;
- Counseling on international dispute resolution mechanisms, including international arbitration clauses, choice of law provisions and venue selection for companies in the aviation industry;
- Representing pilots, mechanics, and schools in FAA enforcement and civil penalty actions.
Members of our Aviation Law team belong to several aviation organizations including the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA) Legal Service Plan Attorneys, Aviation Insurance Association (AIA), International Aviation Womens Association (IAWA), International Air & Transportation Safety Bar Association, Experimental Aircraft Association, Organization of Flying Adjusters, and the National Business Aviation Association (NBAA). Susan Hofer was also President of the Lawyer Pilots Bar Association, and currently serves on its Board of Directors.
The Aviation Law team has experience in litigation in several states involving aviation accidents, personal injury, wrongful death, and property damage, as well as providing analysis of issues involving aviation expert witness challenges, aircraft valuation and damages. Our attorneys regularly speak on aviation industry specific issues including Drone law, international commercial disputes in aviation, and IP and liability issues facing aviation and drone businesses.
Attorney Russell Racine has assisted aviation industry clients with obtaining, protecting, and enforcing intellectual property rights including patents and trademark registrations at the United States Patent and Trademark Office, and internationally through the Patent Cooperation Treaty. Our IP Practice Group is also familiar with EU regulations and has handled patent applications for international protection.
Additionally, Partner Mica Worthy is also a Certified Global Business Professional licensed by NASBITE® to advise on international business issues. As a graduate of the Cologne Academy on International Commercial Arbitration and former adjunct professor of International Commercial Arbitration at the Charlotte School of Law, she also provides in-depth experience and knowledge on the issues facing clients with global operations in the aviation industry. She has also handled products liability and breach of contract issues involving international sales law.
For more information on our Aviation Law Practice, please contact Susan Hofer.
Most Recent Posts
Susan Hofer, Chair of the Aviation Law Practice Group at Cranfill Sumner & Hartzog LLP, recently spoke at the Charlotte Chamber of Commerce Aviation Committee Meeting. On March 7, Susan provided a summary on development of small unmanned aircraft systems (sUAS), also known as drones. … Read More
Result: Defense verdict- Limited Damages and Reimbursement to Defendant The CSH Aviation Group (Susan Hofer and Mica Worthy) recently prevailed… Read More
Susan Hofer, an attorney in the Charlotte office of Cranfill Sumner & Hartzog LLP, will serve as a panel moderator at the 2017 Campbell Law Review Symposium. The event which will be held Feb. 2-3, is entitled “Flying Above the Law: Legal Issues Surrounding the Domestic Use of Drone.” … Read More
Cranfill Sumner & Hartzog LLP (CSH Law) today announced that three of its attorneys have been named partners in the firm. The new partners include Matthew Covington, Patrick Mincey and Mica Nguyen Worthy.… Read More
Susan Hofer, chair of the Aviation Law Practice Group at Cranfill Sumner & Hartzog LLP, was recently issued a Remote Pilot Certificate with rating for Small Unmanned Aircraft System (sUAS) by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). The certificate authorizes Susan to oversee commercial operations of Small Unmanned Aerial Systems, also known as drones.… Read More
Effective July 1, 2016, the FAA has now provided a change in policy for airports that accept federal grants, or… Read More
New Law Goes into Effect August 29, 2016 After many months, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has issued regulations towards… Read More
Eleven attorneys from Cranfill Sumner & Hartzog LLP (CSH Law) participated in the North Carolina Bar Association’s 8th Annual 4ALL Statewide Service Day on Friday, March 6. … Read More
Cranfill Sumner & Hartzog LLP (CSH Law) sponsors the 2014 Annual Meeting of the International Aviation Women’s Association (IAWA) in Seattle. … Read More
CSH Law sponsors the 2014 Annual Meeting of the Organization of Flying Adjusters (OFA) in Baton Rouge, La. Susan Hofer, Chair of the Aviation Litigation Practice Group at CSH Law, is a licensed pilot and member of IAWA.… Read More
Susan Hofer has joined the CSH Law firm’s Charlotte office as a partner practicing aviation law. Susan will lead the firm’s new Aviation Law group.… Read More
Russ Racine has joined CSH Law, where he will focus his practice in the areas of Aviation Law, Construction, Criminal Defense and Intellectual Property.… Read More