CSH Law was one of the sponsors for the 5th Annual ABC Carolinas Safety Conference on October 2, 2014. At the conference, the NC Department of Labor announced new reporting requirements for work place injuries under OSHA. The new rules will go into effect January 1, 2015. The current rule requires employers report any work-related fatality as well as any work-related overnight hospitalization of three or more workers. However, as of January 1, 2015, all employers must report:
- All work-related fatalities within 8 hours.
- All work-related inpatient hospitalizations, all amputations and all losses of an eye within 24 hours.
There is a question as to what constitutes a hospitalization because the term “overnight” is not listed. CSH Law is advising clients to contact the NC Department of Labor to determine whether a work -related injury must be reported to OSHA.
Employers can report to OSHA by:
- Calling OSHA’s free and confidential number at 1-800-321-OSHA (6742);
- Calling your closest Area Office during normal business hours. (8 am -5 pm: 919-779-8560 or 1-800-625-2267); or
- Using the new online form that will soon be available on OSHA’s website.
CSH Law also congratulates the many STEP award winners striving to make the construction industry safer everyday. For more information about the construction law attorneys at CSH Law visit our Construction Law page.