Jennifer is a passionate advocate and skilled litigator. She focuses her practice on insurance coverage disputes, bad faith litigation, and personal injury litigation.
She is the chair of the firm’s Motor Vehicle Litigation Section, chair of the firm’s Insurance Law & Coverage practice group and serves on the Cranfill Sumner COVID-19 Response Team. She regularly advises clients on a wide array of insurance coverage issues involving both first and third-party coverages, including commercial general liability coverage, commercial and personal auto coverage, homeowners’ coverage, professional liability coverage, and property coverage. She has represented insurers in numerous declaratory judgment actions in both state and federal courts, and she has also authored numerous publications and given many presentations on various insurance coverage issues.
Jennifer also routinely handles cases involving insurance bad faith, premises liability, motor vehicle negligence, and homeowners’ association disputes. She has particular experience and interest in handling uninsured and underinsured motorist claims and has an in-depth understanding of the intricacies of the laws governing such claims. No matter what type of case she is litigating, Jennifer strives to help her clients develop cost-effective resolution strategies and, when necessary, aggressively represents their interests in court.
Jennifer is a Raleigh native. In her spare time, she enjoys cooking, exercising, gardening, and spending time with her husband, Matt, and their two daughters, Grayson and Caroline.
Cases or matters referenced do not represent the lawyer’s entire record. Each case is unique and must be evaluated on its own merits. The outcome of a particular case cannot be predicated upon a lawyer’s or a law firm’s past results.
- Obtained summary judgment for property owners association in lawsuit by homeowner over assessments and resulting lien.
- Secured declaratory judgment that insured was not entitled to underinsured motorist insurer where insured failed to provide advance written notice of settlement with at fault party.
- Obtained favorable decisions for insurers in COVID-19 business interruption coverage disputes.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of underinsured motorist carrier in matter where plaintiff insured claimed he was entitled to $1,000,000 in UIM coverage due to insurer’s failure to obtain effective selection/rejection form from the named insured.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of the defendant in a wrongful death action involving whether a property owner owed a legal duty to the employees of a contractor making improvements to the owner’s property.
- Obtained summary judgment for defendant insurance carrier in a matter involving a dispute in which plaintiff sought coverage under an excess workers’ compensation policy for an occurrence that took place outside of the policy period and therefore afforded no coverage for the subject loss.
- Obtained reimbursement for insurer in primary/excess declaratory judgment action in the United States District Court.
Articles, Presentations, and Publications
- “North Carolina Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage,” Client presentation (2019)
- Co-authored NC portion of DRI Duty to Defend Compendium (2016)
- “Insurance Bad Faith: Conduct Counts” – article for JD Supra (2013)
- Co-authored NC portion of DRI Professional Liability Insurance Compendium (2012)
- Speaker, Flood Insurance Seminar, 2012, 2015, 2017, and 2019
- Speaker, “Automobile Insurance Coverage,” Insurance Law 2008, Wake Forest University School of Law
- Speaker, “Insurance Law,” Twenty-Eighth Annual Review NC 2008, Wake Forest University School of Law
- Speaker, “Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Claims,” Automobile Litigation: Strategic Issues and Answers, National Business Institute, 2007
- “Summary of North Carolina Motor Vehicle Law” – Client presentation (2005)
- “Record Retention and Management” – Client presentation (2004)
Most Recent Posts
On April 18, 2022, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals reviewed an insured’s claim against its own property insurer for… Read More
Jennifer Welch served as a presenter for the 2022 Spring Conference for the Harmonie Group April 21-23. The event was held in Boston.… Read More
On March 16, 2021, an order was entered by US District Court Judge Richard E. Myers, II granting Valley Forge… Read More
Settlements involving Cranfill Sumner LLP were featured in the Top Verdicts & Settlements of 2020 by NC Lawyers Weekly.… Read More
Steven Bader and Jennifer Welch are featured in the December edition of For the Defense. Their article, “The ISO Virus… Read More
Jennifer Welch has been elected to serve as the Chair of the Insurance Law Section of the North Carolina Bar Association. Jennifer’s term began in July 2020 and continues through June 2021.… Read More
Cranfill Sumner & Hartzog LLP (Cranfill Sumner) announced the creation of its COVID-19 Response Team. The team is comprised of… Read More
One of the first insurance coverage lawsuits related to the COVID-19 pandemic was recently filed in North Carolina. The Complaint… Read More
The outbreak of COVID-19 has spawned a number of recent lawsuits by policyholders seeking business interruption coverage for losses resulting… Read More
In the wake of President Trump’s recent Major Disaster Declaration for the State of North Carolina, the North Carolina Insurance… Read More
Ohio and Massachusetts have followed New Jersey’s lead in attempting to push through legislation that would force insurers to provide… Read More
In response to the rapidly growing concern over the spread of the Coronavirus, on March 14, 2020, North Carolina Governor… Read More
With the spread of Coronavirus Disease-2019 (COVID-19) and its devastating impact on public health and the global economy, you can… Read More
As restaurants close dine-in service for guests, restaurant owners and operators might consider offering delivery service during these unprecedented times.… Read More
Jennifer Welch, a Partner at Cranfill Sumner LLP (Cranfill Sumner), was recently appointed to serve as Vice Chair of the Insurance Law Section of the North Carolina Bar Association. Jennifer, who previously served as Secretary of the section, assumed the new role in June and will hold the position for one year.… Read More
Deedee Gasch and Jennifer Welch will present at the upcoming Alcohol Liability Webinar hosted by the North Carolina Restaurant and Lodging Association (NCRLA) and Cranfill Sumner LLP (Cranfill Sumner). The webinar will address information about North Carolina’s Dram Shop Laws and the best practices to avoid claims and lawsuits regarding overserved individuals.… Read More
Jennifer Welch, Co-Chair of the Insurance Law & Coverage Practice Group at Cranfill Sumner LLP, was recently elected Treasurer of the Insurance Law Section of the North Carolina Bar Association. Jennifer has been a member of the Insurance Law Section Council since 2015. She is also a member of the Insurance Law Section’s Pattern Jury Instruction Committee.… Read More
Cranfill Sumner LLP (Cranfill Sumner) today announced that 11 attorneys have recently received an AV® Rating from Martindale-Hubbell.… Read More
In the recent case of Dion v. Batten, No. COA16-63, 2016 WL 4088417 (N.C. App. Aug. 2, 2016), the North… Read More
Emily Goodman & Jennifer Welch are featured in Midtown Magazine answering readers’ questions about legal issues including employment, divorce and DUIs.… Read More
Jennifer Welch has been named the Co-Chair of Cranfill Sumner’s Insurance Law and Coverage Practice Group.… Read More
Jennifer Welch, an attorney with Cranfill Sumner LLP’s Raleigh office, recently joined the Insurance Committee for the Claims and Litigation Management Alliance (CLM).… Read More
Jennifer Welch, an attorney with Cranfill Sumner, is appointed to the Committee for Working Mothers with the Greater Raleigh Chamber of Commerce. … Read More
Bad faith claims are on the rise in North Carolina. As an insurer, you must familiarize yourself with the possible… Read More
Ten Cranfill Sumner attorneys were selected as 2013 North Carolina Super Lawyers and 14 Cranfill Sumner attorneys were selected as 2013 North Carolina Rising Stars.… Read More
Cranfill Sumner, names three new partners with diverse litigation experience: Ginger Hunsucker, Todd King, and Jennifer Welch.… Read More