John W. Ong is a creative problem solver, practicing out of our Charlotte office. Practicing law for over 25 years and handling cases throughout the State of North Carolina since 1998, John serves as Vice- Chair of our Construction Law Group.
Clients call upon John to conduct investigations, to determine cost-effective resolution strategies and, when necessary, to aggressively represent their interests in court. Tenacious in the cross-examination of experts, John is also a skilled in Alternative Dispute Resolution, including Mediation, Collaborative Law and Arbitration and enjoys working with his clients to select strategies most in keeping with their needs.
John concentrates his practice in areas related to Construction Accidents and Construction Defects in addition to cases involving Product Liability, Professional Malpractice, Trucking & Transportation, General Liability, and Wrongful Death. He has successfully represented individuals, corporations, and entities in a variety of matters, both at the trial and appellate stages of litigation throughout North Carolina. He has frequently been asked to become involved in cases involving interesting questions of medical causation including mild traumatic brain injuries, strokes, suicide, and vision disturbances, etc.
In addition to his practice of law, John is Certified by the North Carolina Dispute Resolution Commission to conduct Superior Court Mediations and is trained in Collaborative Law. More information about John’s Mediation & Conflict Resolution practice can be found here.
Cases or matters referenced do not represent the lawyer’s entire record. Each case is unique and must be evaluated on its own merits. The outcome of a particular case cannot be predicated upon a lawyer’s or a law firm’s past results.
- As lead counsel, obtained a defense verdict for a table saw manufacturer in a notable federal court case regarding table saw design including whether flesh detection technology and blade guarding with independently removable components were reasonably necessary and whether they would have reduced or eliminated the severe laceration sustained by plaintiff.
- As lead counsel for a physical therapist in a professional malpractice action in state court involving alleged personal injury, obtained a directed verdict in favor of the physical therapist at close of plaintiff’s case.
- As lead counsel, achieved a defense award in a binding arbitration in favor of a Development Manager in a multi-party binding arbitration involving alleged soil settlement affecting numerous residential lots in a subdivision.
- As lead counsel obtained a defense verdict for a homeowner in claim of premises liability suit filed by delivery person.
- As lead counsel, represented a sprinkler inspection firm in a significant, multi-party case involving extensive water damage and was selected by other parties to engage in direct negotiations on behalf of all defendants in order to reach a full resolution of the action with multiple plaintiffs.
- As lead counsel, represented driver in a wrongful death case involving a good samaritan in which there were allegations of impairment.
- As lead counsel, represented a client in a multi-party action arising out of an explosion allegedly caused by batteries resulting in catastrophic personal injuries, extensive property damage and business losses.
- As lead counsel, represented a developer in state court proceedings involving allegations of systemic construction and structural defects throughout a residential subdivision.
- As lead counsel, represented a general contractor in state court proceedings involving multiple catastrophic injuries arising out of scaffolding collapse.
- As lead counsel, represented local area authority in state court action arising out of the murder of a care home resident.
- As lead counsel represented operator of motor vehicle in state court action in which blindness was contended to have been caused by head trauma
- As lead counsel, represented an insurance carrier in a UIM binding arbitration arising out of a multiple fatality accident involving Assisted Living Community residents
Articles, Presentations, and Publications
“Dance you Own Dance – Negotiation Skills and Techniques” (November 2015)
Brackets in Mediation: A Primer… (June 2015)
Dance Your Own Dance (May 2015)
Any Extra Invitations to Mediation? (April 2015)
“Recognizing the Big Business of Small Business,” Construction and Contract Law Workshop, Institute of Minority Economic Development (October 2013)
Construction Contractor Forum for minority and small-to-medium sized General Contractors, Charlotte, NC (September 30, 2013)
“Negotiation Strategies 2.0 – CLM,” Claims Litigation Management Alliance (July 2013)
“Ladders on the Edge,” DRI Today (April 2013)
John has enjoyed providing seminars to both clients and attorneys. Some of his presentations have included:
“Construction Law Highlights for Adjusters”
“Building Your Civil Trial Skills”
“Litigation 104- Trial Practice”
“Managing Ethical Issues in Your Day-to-Day Practice”
“Punitive Damages and Bad Faith”
“Head Injury Issues for Adjusters”
“Expert Witnesses for Adjusters”
“Chiropractic Issues for Adjusters”
“Truck Accident Litigation From Start to Finish”
Most Recent Posts
John Ong, a Partner in the Charlotte office of Cranfill Sumner & Hartzog LLP, was a faculty member for the Civil Collaborative Practice Training. The two-day program offered by the North Carolina Bar Association was held at the NC Bar Center in Cary May 21-22.
The event offered both basic and advanced training for collaborative law practice.… Read More
John Ong will be a featured presenter at the North Carolina Bar Association’s (NCBA) Civil Collaborative Practice Training. The two-day program will be offered Nov. 7-8 at the NC Bar Center in Cary.… Read More
On July 19, John Ong presented “Expert Witnesses: Selection Considerations” at the Harmonie Group’s Construction & Transportation Seminar.… Read More
John Ong, Chair of Collaborative Law at Cranfill Sumner & Hartzog LLP, will serve as a presenter at the “Civil Collaborative Practice Training” sponsored by the North Carolina Bar Association Foundation.… Read More
John Ong, an attorney in the Charlotte office of Cranfill Sumner & Hartzog LLP, will make a presentation about the topic of Collaborative Law and its applicability to construction cases at the Sept. 20 meeting of the Bobbitt Chapter of the American Inns of Court. … Read More
The Alternative Dispute Resolution Practice Group at Cranfill Sumner & Hartzog LLP (CSH Law) has been expanded to include Collaborative Law, which will be led by John Ong. Ong is the Vice-Chair of the CSH Law Construction Law Practice Group and is Certified by the North Carolina Dispute Resolution Commission to conduct Superior Court Mediations and is trained in Collaborative Law.… Read More
John Ong will serve as a speaker for the Civil Collaborative Practice Training seminar sponsored by the North Carolina Bar Association Dispute Resolution Section and Construction Law Section. The seminar will review the principles of Collaborative Practice, an alternative to dispute resolution that is designed to be private and cost effective.… Read More
A case tried by John Ong and Matt Lilly, attorneys with Cranfill Sumner & Hartzog LLP, was recognized as the #2 ranked top defense verdict of 2015 by North Carolina Lawyers Weekly.… Read More
John Ong and a former CSH Law attorney obtained a jury verdict in favor of the defense. Plaintiff alleged that a… Read More
“Dance Your Own Dance—Negotiating Skills and Techniques” will be presented today by John Ong, Cranfill Sumner & Hartzog LLP’s Vice Chair of the Construction Law Practice Group.… Read More
John Ong was able to obtain a directed verdict following the close of the plaintiff’s evidence based on the lack of specific testimony regarding the probability that the incident was the cause of the injury.… Read More
John Ong, Pat Flanagan and Nick Valaoras will be the featured speakers at a panel discussion for the Associated Builders… Read More
John Ong, Vice-Chair of the Construction Law Practice Group at Cranfill Sumner & Hartzog LLP, will be a featured speaker… Read More
John Ong, Vice-Chair of the Construction Law Practice Group at CSH Law, will address Construction litigation at the NCADA conference. … Read More
John Ong addressed professional liability law, sources of professional liability claims, defenses to liability claims and other engineering legal issues.… Read More
Unfortunately, construction site accidents are a reality that even the most careful of contractors and subcontractors may encounter. While the… Read More