Pankaj K. Shere (P.K.) is an invaluable strategic partner and fierce advocate for his clients having served as lead counsel and tried cases to verdict across the state. He routinely represents major academic medical centers, hospitals (all sizes), and healthcare providers in medical negligence and healthcare litigation matters.
A seasoned trial attorney, P.K. serves as lead counsel in intellectual property, business, and general litigation suits across a variety of industries, including software technology, retail, consumer product manufacturing, financial institutions, pharmaceutical companies, and institutions of higher learning.
In addition to his key role as an experienced litigator and Co-Chair of the firm’s Medical Malpractice Practice Group, P.K. is the Chair of the firm’s Intellectual Property Practice Group representing companies, including hospitals and private healthcare practices, in matters involving patent, trademark and copyright clearance, registration, enforcement, and litigation.
P.K. is often called upon to serve as lead counsel for complex negotiations on transactional matters including joint ventures, asset purchases, contract drafting and reviews, and other business operation matters. This unique blend of litigation and transactional skill sets has made him a great resource for his clients in healthcare and other industries.
In 2017 P.K. was selected for membership in the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA), an exclusive and prestigious national organization of judges and civil trial lawyers. ABOTA’s membership constitutes the bench mark of the nation’s finest trial lawyers and membership is by invitation only. To be considered for ABOTA candidacy, the applicant must possess a wealth of trial experience that few attorneys achieve, and be approved by votes of the local Chapter and National Board. Acceptance constitutes peer recognition of the highest trial acumen and professionalism.
P.K. was selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America®: 2013 – 2017 and selected by North Carolina Super Lawyers® as a Rising Star: 2009, 2011-2015. He also maintains an AV rating with Martindale-Hubbell, a prestigious peer review rating which recognizes attorneys who have reached high levels of skill and integrity.
Cases or matters referenced do not represent the lawyer’s entire record. Each case is unique and must be evaluated on its own merits. The outcome of a particular case cannot be predicated upon a lawyer’s or a law firm’s past results.
- Defense verdict for an obstetrician in a case involving alleged delay in delivery resulting in child born with significant injuries, including severe cerebral palsy. Damages claimed exceeded $25,000,000.
- Defense verdict for an obstetricians in a case involving a shoulder dystocia resulting in child born with significant complications, including severe and permanent brachial plexus injury.
- Defense verdict for emergency medicine physicians and physician assistants in a case involving an alleged delay in diagnosis of a spinal epidural abscess resulting in paralysis.
- Defense verdict for a general surgeon who performed an anterior exposure for a lumbar infusion procedure, which resulted in an injury to the patient’s ureter. The patient went on to have multiple surgeries and postoperative complications.
- Defense verdict for a trauma surgeon in a case involving a retroperitoneal bleed and death of a 17 year old female following a motor vehicle accident. The case alleged the surgeon failed to perform necessary surgery to stop bleeding related to trauma. The surgeon successfully performed bilateral embolization to stop the pelvic bleeding but declined to perform surgery the following day despite significant tachycardia and reduced hemoglobin and hematocrit. The patient later coded and died of a retroperitoneal bleed.
- Defense verdict for a trauma surgeon in a case involving a splenic bleed and ultimate death. The plaintiff alleged the surgeon failed to timely take the decedent to surgery. The surgeon elected embolization via vascular interventional radiology to treat the splenic bleed resulting in blood transfusions going into the patient’s abdomen rather than vein. The patient coded, was resuscitated, but later died.
- Defense verdict for an Emergency Medicine Physician and an Emergency Department Physician Assistant. The case alleged that healthcare providers failed to diagnose an obstructed bowel and instead discharged the patient from the hospital with a diagnosis of gastritis. The patient returned to the hospital several hours later, was diagnosed with obstructed bowel disease and was emergently sent to surgery. As a result in the delay, plaintiff alleged she required three additional surgeries, developed sepsis, and incurred over a million dollars in medical expenses.
- Lead counsel on management and enforcement of intellectual property rights for higher-education institution.
- Trial counsel for software technology company in alleged patent infringement litigation.
- Trial counsel for consumer retail manufacturer in alleged patent infringement litigation.
- Outside general counsel for mobile technology company advising on intellectual property and corporate matters.
- Lead counsel on negotiating, drafting, and closing seed and series funding for mobile technology, broadband, and telecommunication companies.
- Counseled, advised, and negotiated asset purchase acquisition for retail furniture importer.
- Advised and served as strategic counsel for data management company relating to funding, acquisitions, and intellectual property matters.
- Reviewed, negotiated, and prepared consulting and product development agreements with medical device and pharmaceutical companies.
- Represented and advised NC based venture capital and private equity groups on capital investments, recapitalization, and mergers and acquisition of privately held companies.
- Served as lead counsel on federal action involving business ownership interest, trademark, and copyright dispute relating to software technology.
- Trial counsel for furniture importer in federal copyright infringement matter.
- Defended textile manufacturer and importer in federal copyright infringement matter.
- Managed domain name and internet trademark infringement prosecution for international bank and pharmaceutical companies.
- Advised and represented software companies on IP audits and infringement matters.
Most Recent Posts
Thirty-two attorneys from Cranfill Sumner & Hartzog LLP (CSH Law) were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© 2019 (Copyright 2018 by Woodward/White, Inc., of Aiken, SC).… Read More
P.K. Shere, an attorney based in the Raleigh office of Cranfill Sumner & Hartzog LLP, has been elected to serve on the nominating committee for the North Carolina American Society for Healthcare Risk Management (NC ASHRM). His term began Jan. 1, 2018.… Read More
Seven Cranfill Sumner & Hartzog LLP (CSH Law) attorneys were recognized by Business North Carolina magazine as part of the magazine’s Legal Elite program.… Read More
Two Cranfill Sumner & Hartzog LLP (CSH Law) attorneys will be featured speakers at the upcoming 2017 Fall Seminar for Insurance Claims Managers & Defense Counsel. The seminar is presented by the North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys (NCADA).… Read More
Thirty-three attorneys from Cranfill Sumner & Hartzog LLP (CSH Law) were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© 2018 (Copyright 2017 by Woodward/White, Inc., of Aiken, SC). Eight attorneys were selected for inclusion in the list for the first time.… Read More
P.K. Shere, a partner in the Raleigh office of Cranfill Sumner & Hartzog LLP (CSH Law), has been invited to join the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA), a prestigious national association comprised of experienced trial lawyers and judges.… Read More
Twenty-six attorneys from Cranfill Sumner & Hartzog LLP (CSH Law) were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© 2017 (Copyright 2016 by Woodward/White, Inc., of Aiken, SC).… Read More
Twenty-eight attorneys from Cranfill Sumner & Hartzog LLP (CSH Law) were selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© 2016.… Read More
PK Shere and Ginger Hunsucker recently spoke to a class of medical students at the UNC-Chapel Hill regarding legal issues affecting physicians.… Read More
CSH Law announced that 20 of its attorneys have been selected for inclusion in the 2015 North Carolina Super Lawyers and North Carolina Rising Stars lists.… Read More
Twenty-four attorneys from Cranfill Sumner & Hartzog LLP were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America.… Read More
CSH Law announced that 21 of its attorneys are selected for inclusion in the 2014 North Carolina Super Lawyers and 2014 North Carolina Rising Stars lists.… Read More
CSH Law is proud to announce that 25 of its attorneys were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America©.… Read More
Ten CSH Law attorneys were selected as 2013 North Carolina Super Lawyers and 14 CSH Law attorneys were selected as 2013 North Carolina Rising Stars.… Read More
Twenty-three lawyers from CSH Law were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2013… Read More
Ward and Shere received a defense verdict on behalf of a trauma surgeon. … Read More
David Ward and Pankaj K. Shere received a defense verdict on behalf of a North Carolina emergency physician and physician’s assistant. … Read More
Pankaj K. Shere received a defense verdict on behalf of a trauma surgeon. … Read More