Patrick Mincey is a trial lawyer.
He represents domestic and foreign clients throughout the United States.
Mr. Mincey founded and manages the firm’s White Collar & Criminal Defense Group.
Government Investigations & Prosecutions
Mr. Mincey represents companies, executives and other professionals in investigations, litigation, corporate crises and prosecutions by state, federal and foreign governments. He has handled matters for clients from and concerning investigations in Europe, Asia, South America and Africa.
Mr. Mincey’s clients include international conglomerates, private and Fortune 500 companies, securities and real estate brokerages, accounting and law firms, among various corporate associations. His clients operate in industries from finance and international trade to health care, defense contracting, and higher education.
Mr. Mincey has extensive experience representing elected officials and those serving in sensitive government positions. In addition to cross-border matters, Mr. Mincey has defended criminal maritime investigations and prosecutions of international cargo vessel owners and their crew.
Complex Business Litigation & Regulatory Enforcement
Mr. Mincey represents clients in matters concerning international finance, antitrust, health care compliance, environmental regulation, the False Claims Act, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, Stark Law / Anti-Kickback, financial and sexual employment misconduct, RICO, securities fraud, qui tam relators and government whistleblowers, unfair and deceptive business practices, trade secrets and economic espionage.
The Media & Crisis Management
Mr. Mincey has extensive experience guiding individuals, organizations, and public officials through public relations crises.
He is proud to have kept many of his most difficult cases confidential by keeping them out of public reporting.
Because that is not always possible, Mr. Mincey maintains close personal relationships with national media personnel. He routinely works with PR firms to manage communications strategies and reassure clients’ standing in the business community.
Grand Jury Investigations & Civil Investigative Demands
Mr. Mincey regularly advises insurance companies navigating federal grand jury subpoenas, civil investigative demands and regulatory investigations of their insureds. He helps corporate clients with internal investigations and to develop policies to mitigate a myriad of collateral exposure.
Outside the Courtroom & Boardroom
Mr. Mincey studied at the London School of Economics and New York University’s Paris Campus. He is fluent in French and a fourth-generation trial lawyer.
His wife, Lydia, is a classically trained artist reared in Tanzania and Jackson Hole, Wyoming who worked in France and the Czech Republic before returning to the United States. An avid conservationist, Mr. Mincey and his family enjoy sailing in Down East Maine throughout the summer. In cooler months, they love working Santa Gertrudis cattle and wing shooting at their Georgia family farm, Old Agency Reserve.
The Minceys reside on the North Carolina coast with their young daughter.
Honors & Awards
Mr. Mincey has received numerous accolades and awards from his peers and top legal publications, including:
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow since 2019
- Benchmark Litigation, 40 & Under Hot List for White Collar Crime – 2019
- Business North Carolina, Legal Elite in Criminal Law— 2018, 2019. 2020
- Martindale Hubbell—AV Preeminent Rating since 2016
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, White Collar Criminal Defense—2018, 2019, 2020
- Representation of CEO for largest residential real estate brokerages in Arizona, Nevada and southern California in antitrust investigation by Department of Justice for alleged Sherman Act violations, with parallel multi-billion dollar class actions in Western District of Missouri and Northern District of Illinois.
- With prosecutions in District of Oregon and District of North Dakota, representation of two American physicians in international fentanyl trafficking conspiracy involving illicit manufacturers from Peoples Republic of China, the first instance of United States government prosecuting fentanyl ring under federal “Kingpin” Statute.
- Representation of Colorado software firm in multi-million dollar federal securities fraud prosecution and investigation of contract solicitation in Kenya.
- Representation of American accounting firm in multi-billion dollar international financial crimes investigation and public corruption prosecution of business executive and former U.S. Congressman.
- Represented American lawyer in dismissal of federal and state claims arising from purported defense contractor’s scheme to smuggle firearms and ammunitions arsenal through United Kingdom to cargo vessels off Horn of Africa for U.S. government anti-piracy missions and defending maritime merchants.
- Represented Singaporean cargo vessel owners in MARPOL environmental crimes investigation by United States Coast Guard leading to no charges filed.
- In RICO litigation alleging South Carolina-based law firm’s participation in telemarketing fraud scheme exceeding $1,000,000,000.00, dismissal of claims against client affirmed in 4th Circuit Court of Appeals.
- In Northern District of Florida, represented defense contractor in prosecution involving Classified Information Procedure Act where client allegedly defrauded United States Air Force.
- In health care fraud investigation and prosecution from District of New Jersey and Northern District of Texas, represented physicians group engaged in telemedicine practice.
- In District of Columbia, represented AMTRAK official in cybercrimes investigation by OIG resulting in no charges filed.
- Represented Marshall Islands flag ship vessel in port state control inspection leading to no charges filed.
- In federal prosecution of North Carolina business executive for money laundering following decade-long narcotics trafficking investigation, obtained dismissal of most serious charges and probationary sentence for client.
- In prosecution of prominent North Carolina businessman and community leader for alleged sexual offenses against minor at his own corporate-hosted event, quickly settled civil disputes to mitigate future business losses and end widely-disruptive street protests outside client’s business establishments.
- Represented Durham County, North Carolina District Attorney in public official removal proceedings.
- Represented skilled nursing facility administrator in criminal neglect investigation involving alleged mistreatment of quadriplegic resulting in no charges filed.
- Represented psychology clinic in criminal investigation involving alleged sexual assaults of minor patient resulting in no charges filed.
- In federal environmental crimes case, obtained dismissal of claims arising from unlawful disposal and attempted cover-up of hundreds of thousands of gallons of agricultural waste into federally protected waterways.
- Not guilty verdict for pulmonologist charged with assault in clinic.
- Represented hospice facility in internal investigation and criminal prosecution involving various crimes committed on campus.
- In multi-million dollar fraud case against real estate attorney, obtained dismissal and affirmed through North Carolina Supreme Court involving “quasi-judicial immunity” defense.
- In first degree rape of a child trial, obtained dismissal of all charges and set case law precedent in North Carolina Supreme Court on psychologists’ expert testimony concerning “repressed memory theory.”
- In manslaughter trial where son fatally shot his own mother, charges dismissed at conclusion of government’s evidence based on “imperfect self-defense” theory.
- Anti-Money Laundering
- Bank Secrecy Act
- Campaign Finance
- Civil Investigative Demands (CIDs)
- Commodities Futures Trading Commission (FTC) Regulation
- Congressional & State Legislature Investigations
- Corporate Internal Investigations
- Cross-Border Investigations & Prosecutions
- Customs and Border Protection Investigations
- Dodd Frank Act & Sarbanes Oxley
- Economic Espionage
- Election Fraud
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Regulation
- False Claims Act
- Federal Election Commission (FEC) Investigations
- Federal Trade Commission (FTC) Investigations
- Food & Drug Administration (FDA) & Life Sciences Regulation
- Foreign Corrupt Practices Act
- Government Investigations & Grand Jury Subpoenas
- Health Care Fraud
- IRS Investigations & Tax Fraud
- Maritime Environmental Crimes (Act to Prevent Pollution from Ships & MARPOL)
- Multidistrict Litigation
- Obstruction of Justice
- Port State Control Inspections
- Public Corruption
- Qui Tam Relators & Whistleblowers
- RICO (Racketeering Conspiracies)
- Stark / Anti-Kickback
- State Attorneys General Investigations
- Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) Regulation & Securities Fraud
- Title IX / Campus Sexual Assault Investigations
Most Recent Posts
UPDATED APRIL 3, 2020 There have been several operation and deadline updates affecting North Carolina’s courts and the Industrial Commission. … Read More
The Families First Coronavirus Response Act is Signed Into Law On March 18, 2020, President Trump signed into law the… Read More
Today Cranfill Sumner & Hartzog LLP (CSH Law) proudly announced that 11 of its attorneys have been selected for inclusion in the 2020 North Carolina Super Lawyers and 2020 North Carolina Rising Stars lists.… Read More
Seven Cranfill Sumner & Hartzog LLP (CSH Law) attorneys were recognized by Business North Carolina magazine as part of the magazine’s Legal Elite program.… Read More
Patrick Mincey will be a featured presenter of the PLAN webinar entitled “Anatomy of the Corporate Federal Investigation.” The webinar will cover strategies and best practices for carriers and their counsel navigating Federal probes of and enforcement against their insureds.… Read More
Patrick Mincey, Chair of the Cranfill Sumner & Hartzog LLP (CSH Law) White Collar & Criminal Defense Practice Group, has been named a Fellow of the American Bar Foundation (ABF).… Read More
Melody Jolly and Patrick Mincey, attorneys in the Wilmington office of Cranfill Sumner & Hartzog LLP, were recently recognized among the Benchmark 40 & Under 2019 Hot List. The list recognizes law firm partners in the United States and Canada who are accomplished in their practice areas. Benchmark compiles the list based on several phases of research, including a review of candidates’ recent case work, peer review, and client feedback on their performance.… Read More
Patrick Mincey has been admitted to practice by the New York State Bar. Patrick is fully licensed to practice law in New York state and was sworn in on April 25.… Read More
Today Cranfill Sumner & Hartzog LLP (CSH Law) proudly announced that 21 of its attorneys have been selected for inclusion in the 2019 North Carolina Super Lawyers and 2019 North Carolina Rising Stars lists.… Read More
Six Cranfill Sumner & Hartzog LLP (CSH Law) attorneys were recognized by Business North Carolina magazine as part of the magazine’s Legal Elite program.… Read More
“Protect directors, officers with coverage,” an article by Patrick Mincey, has been published in the September edition of Business North Carolina magazine. The article explains the role of Directors and Officers liability insurance in protecting businesses and professionals that are investigated by the United States government.… Read More
Patrick Mincey will appear on the “CoastLine” show on WHQR 91.3 in Wilmington. The program will air Aug. 23 at noon and will re-broadcast on Aug. 26. … Read More
Patrick Mincey has been appointed to serve as the Vice Chair for the Distance Learning Committee for the American Bar Association Health Law Section. Patrick’s term will run Sept. 1, 2018 to Aug. 31, 2019.… Read More
Patrick Mincey and Matt Gambale will lead the upcoming “D&O Policies And Federal Criminal Investigations: The Law, Strategies and Best Practices for Carriers and their Counsel” webinar by PLAN. The webinar is scheduled for 1PM EST on July 26 and is designed for D&O claims professionals, coverage counsel, and defense counsel.… Read More
Patrick Mincey was featured in the February 2018 edition of Wrightsville Beach Magazine. In “Stealing from Within: Embezzlement is the basis of betrayals,” Patrick discusses embezzlement by employees and how it affects companies.… Read More
Today Cranfill Sumner & Hartzog LLP (CSH Law) proudly announced that 20 of its attorneys have been selected for inclusion in the 2018 North Carolina Super Lawyers and 2018 North Carolina Rising Stars lists.… Read More
Seven Cranfill Sumner & Hartzog LLP (CSH Law) attorneys were recognized by Business North Carolina magazine as part of the magazine’s Legal Elite program.… Read More
John Martin and Patrick Mincey are featured in the latest edition of Wrightsville Beach Magazine. “Longevity, Profitability and Personality” examines the process of becoming a partner in a legal services firm. John and Patrick share their personal insights and experiences in the article.… Read More
Cranfill Sumner & Hartzog LLP (CSH Law) today announced that 11 attorneys have recently received an AV® Rating from Martindale-Hubbell.… Read More
Cranfill Sumner & Hartzog LLP (CSH Law) today announced that three of its attorneys have been named partners in the firm. The new partners include Matthew Covington, Patrick Mincey and Mica Nguyen Worthy.… Read More
“FAQs to Avoid DWIs During the Holidays: Part 3” was published in the Dec. 21 edition of the Greater Wilmington… Read More
“FAQs to Avoid DWIs During the Holidays: Part 2” was published in the Dec. 7 edition of the Greater Wilmington… Read More
“Top 10 FAQs To Avoid DWIs During The Holidays,” an Insights article by Patrick Mincey, was published in the Dec.… Read More
Patrick Mincey, Chair of the Criminal Defense Practice Group at Cranfill Sumner & Hartzog LLP, will be a featured speaker at the North Carolina American Society of Safety Engineers (NC ASSE) Chapter meeting on Feb. 18.… Read More
Patrick Mincey obtained a 12 (b)(6) dismissal upheld by Court of Appeals. In commercial construction defects case brought by hundreds of property owners… Read More
Patrick Mincey served as Defense Counsel in a case where the Plaintiff sued a real estate attorney who conducted court ordered… Read More
“The Government’s Adoption of Big Data Analysis Yields Fruit,” an Insights article that examines instances of big data analysis by the U.S. government by Patrick Mincey, was published on the online edition of the Greater Wilmington Business Journal on Dec. 15.… Read More
“Government Pursuit Of Health Care Fraud,” an Insights article that examines fraud in the health care industry by Patrick Mincey, was published on the online edition of the Greater Wilmington Business Journal on Dec. 1.… Read More
“Proposed Federal Criminal Regulation Of Drone Operation,” an Insights article that examines the emergence of drone laws by Patrick Mincey, was published on the online edition of the Greater Wilmington Business Journal on Nov. 15.… Read More
Benton Toups and Patrick Mincey, attorneys in the Wilmington office of Cranfill Sumner & Hartzog LLP (CSH Law), are featured in the Men in Business section of the latest edition of Wrightsville Beach Magazine.… Read More
“Guidance For Companies Victimized By Cybercrime,” an Insights article by Patrick Mincey, was published on the online edition of the Greater Wilmington Business Journal on Nov. 1.… Read More
“Corporate Liability Considerations: An Active Shooter In The Workplace,” an Insights article by Patrick Mincey, was published on the online edition of the Greater Wilmington Business Journal on Oct. 15.… Read More
An Insights article entitled “The Justice Department To Corporate Executives: We’re Coming After” by Patrick Mincey, was published on the online edition of the Greater Wilmington Business Journal on Oct. 1.… Read More
“Deferred Prosecution Agreements, Part 3: More Potential Collateral Consequences,” an Insights article by Patrick Mincey, was published on the online edition of the Greater Wilmington Business Journal on Sept. 15. … Read More
“Deferred Prosecution Agreements, Part 2: Potential Collateral Consequences,” an Insights article by Patrick Mincey, was published on the online edition of the Greater Wilmington Business Journal on Sept. 1. … Read More
“Deferred Prosecution Agreements And Non-Prosecution Agreements,” an Insights article by Patrick Mincey, was published on the online edition of the Greater Wilmington Business Journal on Aug 15. … Read More
An Insights article by Patrick Mincey entitled “Practical Guidelines For Management To Anticipate A Fraud Investigation” was published on the online edition of the Greater Wilmington Business Journal on Aug 1. … Read More
An Insights article by Patrick Mincey was published on the online edition of the Greater Wilmington Business Journal on July 15. The article entitled “Cybersecurity Vigilance In The Boardroom” examines the importance of cybersecurity for businesses.… Read More
Patrick Mincey, Co-Chair of the Criminal Defense Practice Group at CSH Law, authored an Insights article for the Wilmington Business Journal . … Read More
Chris Hinnant and Patrick Mincey are featured in the Men in Business issue of Wrightsville Beach Magazine. Chris and Patrick,… Read More
Patrick Mincey and Benton Toups were featured in the Men in Business section of the November 2014 issue of Wrightsville Beach Magazine.… Read More
Patrick Mincey, Co-Chair of the Criminal Defense Practice Group at CSH Law, named to The National Trial Lawyers: Top 100.… Read More
Patrick Mincey, Co-Chair of the Criminal Defense Practice Group at CSH Law, speaks at the Association of Corporate Counsel of America, Triad Chapter.… Read More
Patrick Mincey, the Co-Chair of the Criminal Defense Practice Group at CSH Law, will speak at the ACCA – Research Triangle Chapter Lunch and Learn session.… Read More
Highlights: Through proactive motions work, CSH attorney Mincey was able to have all charges against his client dismissed. Summary: The… Read More
Patrick concentrates his practice in medical malpractice, professional liability, catastrophic torts and criminal defense.… Read More