Patrick Mincey is a white collar defense and trial attorney.
A partner in the Raleigh and Wilmington offices, he Chairs the firm’s White Collar & Criminal Defense Group. Patrick is licensed to practice in the courts of North Carolina and New York.
Government Investigations & White Collar Defense
Patrick defends individuals and institutions in investigations and prosecutions involving state, federal or foreign governments.
He represents public and private companies, their boards, officers, executives and professionals.
His clients also include health care organizations, higher education institutions, and public officials in a range of sensitive matters.
Bet-the-Company Civil & Regulatory Litigation
Patrick represents clients in matters concerning health care compliance, breaches of contract and fiduciary duty, the Foreign Corrupt Practice Act, False Claims Act, Stark / Anti-Kickback, conspiracy, financial and sexual employment misconduct, negligence, RICO, antitrust, securities fraud, tortious interference of contract, and unfair and deceptive trade practices.
The Media & Crisis Management
Patrick has extensive experience guiding individuals, organizations and public officials through public relations crises. He has managed to keep many of his most difficult and sensitive cases out of public reporting and therefore confidential. Patrick maintains close personal relationships with national media personnel and routinely works with PR firms to manage broader communications strategies and reassure clients’ standing in the business community.
Insurance Defense in Grand Jury Investigations & Prosecutions
Patrick regularly advises insurance companies navigating federal grand jury and regulatory investigations of their insureds to prevent detrimental criminal, civil and regulatory consequences. He helps corporate clients with internal investigations and to develop policies to mitigate a myriad of collateral exposure.
Outside the Courtroom & Boardroom
Patrick studied at the London School of Economics and New York University’s Paris Campus. He is fluent in French and a fourth-generation trial lawyer. His wife, Lydia, is a classically trained artist who was reared in Tanzania and Jackson Hole, Wyoming. They live on the North Carolina coast with their daughter, Marielle. An avid conservationist, Patrick and his family enjoy skiing out west, fishing and wing shooting at their south Georgia farm— Old Agency Reserve—and sailing in Down East Maine.
Honors & Awards
Patrick has received numerous accolades and awards from his peers and top legal publications.
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow— 2019
- Benchmark Litigation, 40 & Under Hot List for White Collar Crime – 2019
- Business North Carolina, Legal Elite in Criminal Law— 2018, 2019
- Martindale Hubbell—AV Preeminent Rating since 2016
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, Rising Star in White Collar Criminal Defense—2018, 2019
REPRESENTATIVE & PRECEDENT SETTING LITIGATION
Cases or matters referenced do not represent the attorney’s entire record. Each case is unique and must be evaluated on its own merits. The outcome of a particular case cannot be predicated upon a lawyer’s or a law firm’s past results.
- In international weapons smuggling case, obtained dismissal of claims arising from scheme to move firearms and ammunitions arsenal from North Carolina to East Africa through United Kingdom for anti-piracy arming of merchant vessels by CIA, NSA and other United States intelligence agencies.
- In federal RICO case alleging law firm’s participation in money laundering scheme exceeding $1,000,000,000, dismissal affirmed in 4th Circuit Court of Appeals.
- In federal prosecution of executive of car dealership for money laundering, obtained dismissal of most serious charges and probationary sentence for client.
- Represented AMTRAK official in investigation by Office of Inspector General resulting in no charges filed.
- Represented Skilled Nursing Facility Administrator in criminal neglect investigation resulting in no charges filed.
- Represented defense contractor in False Claims Act case involving Classified Information Procedure Act where client allegedly defrauded United States Air Force.
- Represented Durham County District Attorney in high-profile public official removal proceedings.
- Represented psychology clinic in criminal investigation involving alleged sexual assaults of minor patient resulting in no charges filed.
- In prosecution of prominent businessman and community leader for alleged sexual offenses against minor at his own corporate-hosted event, quickly settled civil disputes to mitigate future business losses and end widely-disruptive street protests outside client’s business establishments.
- In federal environmental crimes case, obtained dismissal of claims arising from unlawful disposal and attempted cover-up of more than 300,000 gallons of agricultural waste into federally protected waterways.
- Obtained not guilty verdict for pulmonologist charged with assault in clinic.
- Represented hospice facility in internal investigation and criminal prosecution involving various crimes committed on campus.
- In multi-million dollar financial fraud case against real estate attorney, obtained dismissal and defended through Supreme Court involving “quasi-judicial immunity” defense.
- In first degree rape of a child trial, obtained dismissal of all charges and set case law precedent in Supreme Court on psychologists’ expert testimony involving “repressed memory theory.”
- In manslaughter trial where son fatally shot his own mother, charges dismissed at conclusion of government’s evidence based on “imperfect self-defense” theory.
- In corporate derivative lawsuit, set case law precedent in appellate court on standing to bring action against non-profit Board of Directors.
In addition to offering general compliance and internal investigation counsel to corporations and health care institutions, Mr. Mincey represents clients in a range of legal areas such as:
- Anti-Money Laundering
- Campaign Finance
- Civil Investigative Demands (CIDs)
- Death Penalty (State & Federal)
- Dodd Frank Act & Financial Fraud
- Economic Espionage
- Election Fraud
- EPA & Environmental Investigations
- False Claims Act & Qui Tam
- Foreign Corrupt Practices Act
- Government Investigations & Grand Jury Subpoenas
- Health Care Fraud
- IRS Investigations & Tax Fraud
- Obstruction of Justice
- Public Corruption
- RICO (Racketeering & Conspiracies)
- Stark / Anti-Kickback
- State Attorneys General Investigations
- SEC Investigations & Securities Fraud
- Title IX / Campus Sexual Assault Investigations
Most Recent Posts
Patrick Mincey will be a featured presenter of the PLAN webinar entitled “Anatomy of the Corporate Federal Investigation.” The webinar will cover strategies and best practices for carriers and their counsel navigating Federal probes of and enforcement against their insureds.… Read More
Patrick Mincey, Chair of the Cranfill Sumner & Hartzog LLP (CSH Law) White Collar & Criminal Defense Practice Group, has been named a Fellow of the American Bar Foundation (ABF).… Read More
Melody Jolly and Patrick Mincey, attorneys in the Wilmington office of Cranfill Sumner & Hartzog LLP, were recently recognized among the Benchmark 40 & Under 2019 Hot List. The list recognizes law firm partners in the United States and Canada who are accomplished in their practice areas. Benchmark compiles the list based on several phases of research, including a review of candidates’ recent case work, peer review, and client feedback on their performance.… Read More
Patrick Mincey has been admitted to practice by the New York State Bar. Patrick is fully licensed to practice law in New York state and was sworn in on April 25.… Read More
Today Cranfill Sumner & Hartzog LLP (CSH Law) proudly announced that 21 of its attorneys have been selected for inclusion in the 2019 North Carolina Super Lawyers and 2019 North Carolina Rising Stars lists.… Read More
Six Cranfill Sumner & Hartzog LLP (CSH Law) attorneys were recognized by Business North Carolina magazine as part of the magazine’s Legal Elite program.… Read More
“Protect directors, officers with coverage,” an article by Patrick Mincey, has been published in the September edition of Business North Carolina magazine. The article explains the role of Directors and Officers liability insurance in protecting businesses and professionals that are investigated by the United States government.… Read More
Patrick Mincey will appear on the “CoastLine” show on WHQR 91.3 in Wilmington. The program will air Aug. 23 at noon and will re-broadcast on Aug. 26. … Read More
Patrick Mincey has been appointed to serve as the Vice Chair for the Distance Learning Committee for the American Bar Association Health Law Section. Patrick’s term will run Sept. 1, 2018 to Aug. 31, 2019.… Read More
Patrick Mincey and Matt Gambale will lead the upcoming “D&O Policies And Federal Criminal Investigations: The Law, Strategies and Best Practices for Carriers and their Counsel” webinar by PLAN. The webinar is scheduled for 1PM EST on July 26 and is designed for D&O claims professionals, coverage counsel, and defense counsel.… Read More
Patrick Mincey was featured in the February 2018 edition of Wrightsville Beach Magazine. In “Stealing from Within: Embezzlement is the basis of betrayals,” Patrick discusses embezzlement by employees and how it affects companies.… Read More
Today Cranfill Sumner & Hartzog LLP (CSH Law) proudly announced that 20 of its attorneys have been selected for inclusion in the 2018 North Carolina Super Lawyers and 2018 North Carolina Rising Stars lists.… Read More
Seven Cranfill Sumner & Hartzog LLP (CSH Law) attorneys were recognized by Business North Carolina magazine as part of the magazine’s Legal Elite program.… Read More
John Martin and Patrick Mincey are featured in the latest edition of Wrightsville Beach Magazine. “Longevity, Profitability and Personality” examines the process of becoming a partner in a legal services firm. John and Patrick share their personal insights and experiences in the article.… Read More
Cranfill Sumner & Hartzog LLP (CSH Law) today announced that 11 attorneys have recently received an AV® Rating from Martindale-Hubbell.… Read More
Cranfill Sumner & Hartzog LLP (CSH Law) today announced that three of its attorneys have been named partners in the firm. The new partners include Matthew Covington, Patrick Mincey and Mica Nguyen Worthy.… Read More
“FAQs to Avoid DWIs During the Holidays: Part 3” was published in the Dec. 21 edition of the Greater Wilmington… Read More
“FAQs to Avoid DWIs During the Holidays: Part 2” was published in the Dec. 7 edition of the Greater Wilmington… Read More
“Top 10 FAQs To Avoid DWIs During The Holidays,” an Insights article by Patrick Mincey, was published in the Dec.… Read More
Patrick Mincey, Chair of the Criminal Defense Practice Group at Cranfill Sumner & Hartzog LLP, will be a featured speaker at the North Carolina American Society of Safety Engineers (NC ASSE) Chapter meeting on Feb. 18.… Read More
Patrick Mincey obtained a 12 (b)(6) dismissal upheld by Court of Appeals. In commercial construction defects case brought by hundreds of property owners… Read More
Patrick Mincey served as Defense Counsel in a case where the Plaintiff sued a real estate attorney who conducted court ordered… Read More
“The Government’s Adoption of Big Data Analysis Yields Fruit,” an Insights article that examines instances of big data analysis by the U.S. government by Patrick Mincey, was published on the online edition of the Greater Wilmington Business Journal on Dec. 15.… Read More
“Government Pursuit Of Health Care Fraud,” an Insights article that examines fraud in the health care industry by Patrick Mincey, was published on the online edition of the Greater Wilmington Business Journal on Dec. 1.… Read More
“Proposed Federal Criminal Regulation Of Drone Operation,” an Insights article that examines the emergence of drone laws by Patrick Mincey, was published on the online edition of the Greater Wilmington Business Journal on Nov. 15.… Read More
Benton Toups and Patrick Mincey, attorneys in the Wilmington office of Cranfill Sumner & Hartzog LLP (CSH Law), are featured in the Men in Business section of the latest edition of Wrightsville Beach Magazine.… Read More
“Guidance For Companies Victimized By Cybercrime,” an Insights article by Patrick Mincey, was published on the online edition of the Greater Wilmington Business Journal on Nov. 1.… Read More
“Corporate Liability Considerations: An Active Shooter In The Workplace,” an Insights article by Patrick Mincey, was published on the online edition of the Greater Wilmington Business Journal on Oct. 15.… Read More
An Insights article entitled “The Justice Department To Corporate Executives: We’re Coming After” by Patrick Mincey, was published on the online edition of the Greater Wilmington Business Journal on Oct. 1.… Read More
“Deferred Prosecution Agreements, Part 3: More Potential Collateral Consequences,” an Insights article by Patrick Mincey, was published on the online edition of the Greater Wilmington Business Journal on Sept. 15. … Read More
“Deferred Prosecution Agreements, Part 2: Potential Collateral Consequences,” an Insights article by Patrick Mincey, was published on the online edition of the Greater Wilmington Business Journal on Sept. 1. … Read More
“Deferred Prosecution Agreements And Non-Prosecution Agreements,” an Insights article by Patrick Mincey, was published on the online edition of the Greater Wilmington Business Journal on Aug 15. … Read More
An Insights article by Patrick Mincey entitled “Practical Guidelines For Management To Anticipate A Fraud Investigation” was published on the online edition of the Greater Wilmington Business Journal on Aug 1. … Read More
An Insights article by Patrick Mincey was published on the online edition of the Greater Wilmington Business Journal on July 15. The article entitled “Cybersecurity Vigilance In The Boardroom” examines the importance of cybersecurity for businesses.… Read More
Patrick Mincey, Co-Chair of the Criminal Defense Practice Group at CSH Law, authored an Insights article for the Wilmington Business Journal . … Read More
Chris Hinnant and Patrick Mincey are featured in the Men in Business issue of Wrightsville Beach Magazine. Chris and Patrick,… Read More
Patrick Mincey and Benton Toups were featured in the Men in Business section of the November 2014 issue of Wrightsville Beach Magazine.… Read More
Patrick Mincey, Co-Chair of the Criminal Defense Practice Group at CSH Law, named to The National Trial Lawyers: Top 100.… Read More
Patrick Mincey, Co-Chair of the Criminal Defense Practice Group at CSH Law, speaks at the Association of Corporate Counsel of America, Triad Chapter.… Read More
Patrick Mincey, the Co-Chair of the Criminal Defense Practice Group at CSH Law, will speak at the ACCA – Research Triangle Chapter Lunch and Learn session.… Read More
Highlights: Through proactive motions work, CSH attorney Mincey was able to have all charges against his client dismissed. Summary: The… Read More
Patrick concentrates his practice in medical malpractice, professional liability, catastrophic torts and criminal defense.… Read More