Todd King is relied upon to defend some of the firm’s most serious cases, primarily involving the areas of transportation and trucking, product liability, and premises liability. He has experience defending cases involving fatalities, traumatic brain injuries, severe burns, and other permanent injuries. Todd frequently responds for the firm to accident scenes where immediate and critical response is required. Whether the client’s strategy is to litigate through trial, pursue dismissal, or efficiently resolve a case, Todd has earned a reputation for delivering an effective and aggressive defense.
A partner in the firm’s Charlotte office, Todd’s 19 years of experience and numerous jury trials allow him to represent clients in a variety of practice areas. He has been named a Rising Star by North Carolina Super Lawyers®, and has been selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America in the field of Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants.
Todd attended both college and law school at Wake Forest University. He played on Wake Forest’s soccer team in college, and still enjoys coaching his kids’ youth soccer teams.
Cases or matters referenced do not represent the lawyer’s entire record. Each case is unique and must be evaluated on its own merits. The outcome of a particular case cannot be predicated upon a lawyer’s or a law firm’s past results.
- Defended gas contractor accused of negligent work on an indoor pool heater at a hotel in Boone, NC, following the deaths of three hotel guests and traumatic brain injury to a fourth, as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Defended fireplace manufacturer accused of negligent installation of a fireplace, following a fire occurring in the home of an NFL coach.
- Defended numerous trucking and transportation claims involving claims of negligent driving, and negligent hiring, training, and retention, following accidents involving fatalities, traumatic brain injuries, and other serious injuries.
- Obtained dismissals in two separate cases for national electric wheelchair manufacturer accused of negligent manufacture.
- Obtained dismissal in federal court for national retail store in product liability lawsuit involving allegations of negligence, breach of implied warranty, and breach of express warranty. Plaintiff suffered burn injuries after a bucket containing hot grease suddenly collapsed.
- Obtained dismissal for real estate appraiser accused of overvaluing 26 lots in the failed Grandfather Vistas of Blowing Rock development. Plaintiffs collectively alleged damages of more than $10,000,000. Plaintiffs asserted claims for negligence, fraud, unfair and deceptive trade practices, conspiracy, and punitive damages.
Articles, Presentations, and Publications
- Speaker at The Harmonie Group’s 2019 Transportation Seminar: “Protecting Preventability Determinations”
- How Tight is North Carolina’s ‘Sealed Container’ Defense?
- FAQ for North Carolina Product Liability Claims
- Top 7 Defenses for Product Liability Lawsuits in North Carolina
- Frequently Used Defenses in Motor Vehicle Lawsuits
- Speaker at North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys annual meeting: “Automobile Liability Defenses.”
Most Recent Posts
During the pandemic, the Chief Justice permitted service of pleadings and discovery by email only upon written consent. However, beginning… Read More
Twenty-seven attorneys from Cranfill Sumner LLP (Cranfill Sumner) were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© 2021 (Copyright 2020 by Woodward/White, Inc., of Aiken, SC).… Read More
Thirty-one attorneys from Cranfill Sumner LLP (Cranfill Sumner) were recently selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© 2020(Copyright 2019 by Woodward/White, Inc., of Aiken, SC).… Read More
Todd King and Stephanie Gaston Poley recently presented at the Harmonie Group’s Construction, Next-Gen & Transportation Seminar. The seminar provided updates on legal issues surrounding the construction and transportation industries, as well as presentations on trending litigation topics.… Read More
In North Carolina, a seller who is not involved in the manufacture of a product can often use the “sealed… Read More
Cranfill Sumner LLP (CSH) is proud to announce that 16 of its attorneys have been selected for inclusion in the 2016 North Carolina Super Lawyers and 2016 North Carolina Rising Stars lists.… Read More
Product liability insurance policy holders must be aware of the defenses available to them when faced with a claim. This article discusses the top 7 defenses available under North Carolina law.… Read More
1. Does North Carolina follow strict liability for product liability claims? No. North Carolina requires that a plaintiff prove negligence to… Read More
Cranfill Sumner, names three new partners with diverse litigation experience: Ginger Hunsucker, Todd King, and Jennifer Welch.… Read More