LITIGATION LEGAL SECRETARY (Charlotte Office)
To apply, please send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hours of Work:
8:30 – 5:30, with 1 hour for lunch
Alternate hours of 7:30 – 4:30, 8:00 – 5:00, or 9:00 – 6:00 available with attorney and HR approval
Office Administrator and Supervising Attorney(s)
Full time – 40 hours per week
High School diploma or equivalent
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite; i.e., Word, Outlook, etc.
- Minimum typing speed of 50 wpm
- Knowledge of NetDocuments (Document Management Software), and Elite helpful
- Must be flexible/detail oriented
- Excellent client service or interpersonal skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Strong organization skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work under pressure and handle conflicting priorities
- Ability to maintain confidential information
- Ability to provide paralegal support for two or more attorneys
- Ability to complete tasks in a timely fashion
- Ability to manage/meet deadlines
- Ability to work independently, or as part of a team, using initiative in all aspects of assignments
- Keen observation skills
- Prior North Carolina WC Paralegal Experience a plus
- Regular attendance 5 days per week – consistently on time (unless pre-approved or modified schedule)
- Accuracy of work product
- Ability to complete tasks assigned in a timely fashion
- Ability to meet deadlines and produce rush projects as assigned
- Must have prior legal assistant or legal secretary experience!
- Five years (or more) experience preferred
- The legal secretary position requires long periods of sitting at a keyboard transcribing dictation, drafting correspondence, or doing other data entry.
- Some light to moderate lifting of files will be required, along with some bending, stooping and reaching.
The legal assistant/secretary position may involve some or all of the following duties:
- Open/Set-up new files; including preparing conflict worksheet upon receipt of new case, typing labels and separating file contents into sub-files
- Possible preparation of non-billable medical record indexes and/or chronologies per attorney preference
- Schedule mediations and depositions
- General file maintenance; keep filing current
- Preparation of general correspondence, pleadings and/or discovery documents from attorney dictation with same day or next day turnaround time desirable
- Related copying, scanning, faxing, etc.
- Entering time sheets into time and billing software (3E Elite), preferably on a daily basis
- Drafting form or enclosure letters to court personnel, opposing counsel, employer, etc.
- Field and handle phone calls that may come in for attorney(s) in his/her absence
- Review of attorney mail/scanning of mail/saving mail in system
- Provide relief for receptionist on switchboard occasionally
- Prepare conflict check worksheets upon receipt of new cases and set up case files upon firm’s acceptance
- Docket deadlines, client reporting requirements, and events in JuraLaw
- Confer with clients/insureds regarding discovery, etc.
- Locate, contact and interview parties, witnesses, and experts
- Summarize depositions
- Summarize discovery responses from other parties
- Prepare and update indices of pleadings, discovery, and other file materials
- Organize and maintain case file, including discovery and trial notebooks
- Communicate with vendors regarding copying, preparation of exhibits, imaging, etc.
- Perform online research regarding criminal record histories, driving record histories, and civil suit histories
- Perform legal research
- Cite-check briefs and assist in preparation of supporting exhibits
- Create databases, code documents, and load deposition transcripts into Summation and/or OneNote
- Assist with preparation for hearings/mediations/trials
- Prepare closed files for offsite storage
- Communicate with opposing counsel, co-counsel, clients, insureds, expert witnesses, court personnel and others to facilitate progress of cases
- Assist with check request and vendor invoices
- Other various tasks that may be assigned by management and/or attorneys