Cranfill Sumner brings a depth of experience, understanding, and resources to the unique and rapidly changing field of intellectual property. We develop and implement strategies to manage and monetize IP portfolios for future profits and growth. We offer a complete range of intellectual property services including:
- Patent prosecution and litigation: We provide a complete range of patent legal services, including acquisition, maintenance, and enforcement of patent rights. Our attorneys have obtained patents in numerous fields of art including chemical, mechanical, sports equipment, medical devices, filtration, materials testing, automotive, pharmaceutical, and recreational equipment. We can counsel our clients on whether obtaining a provisional patent is advantageous in a particular situation, or if applying for a utility patent is the most prudent action. We also obtain design patents for our clients when appropriate. If you or your business is facing patent infringement litigation, our attorneys can counsel you on the advantages and disadvantages of moving forward, how best to proceed to protect your rights, and potential alternatives to a full infringement litigation.
- Trademarks and copyrights: We can help you understand the full value of your trademark and copyright assets and how best to use and protect them. We’re well versed in helping clients determine the strength of trademarks or copyrights; clearing, registering, and monitoring trademarks and copyrights; and policing them through enforcement strategies aimed at solidifying and ensuring proper compensation for intellectual capital. With actual, first chair trial experience in trademark litigation, our attorneys can explain the advantages and disadvantages of pursuing trademark litigation in the Federal courts. Our attorneys also counsel clients and protect their trademarks through objections and cancellation proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
- Internet and domain names: The Internet continues to change the way we do business and experience entertainment, and now its influence is going mobile and becoming more socially interactive. Our attorneys assess and anticipate the e-commerce and technology issues related to your business. We can help you establish a digital presence, protect your existing space, or help you make your move to mobile or to the cloud. Additionally, our attorneys can help you protect your goods or services from unscrupulous infringers who try to hide using the anonymity of the Internet.
- Trade secrets and unfair competition: Guarding trade secrets has long been an important part of IP protection, and our lawyers have counseled numerous clients on implementing and maintaining strong trade secret protection programs. We can assist you in protecting your trade secrets that you rely on for the success of your business. Our attorneys are well versed in obtaining preliminary injunctions and other remedies to protect your valuable assets from infringement or theft.
- Promotions, marketing, and advertising: Safe advertising and marketing practices can generate buzz and give voice to your brand. However, unfair advertising practices can doom product launches or, worse, companies. Our attorneys can help you pinpoint strategies that will protect your company’s reputation and promote your brand strategically. Additionally, our attorneys can guide you and help protect your business from unfair actions by your competitors or other third-parties that set out to unfairly compete.
- Privacy and right of publicity: We’ve represented and counseled a broad range of prominent individuals and companies in rights of publicity and privacy matters, including litigating, negotiating, and drafting agreements pertaining to these rights.
Our approach combines the significant experience of our business law and business disputes and litigation teams with our intellectual property group to provide effective services in business counseling, business transactions, and strategic planning for a variety of intellectual property fields. We help you understand the interplay between your IP assets and your commercial success. Often times a businesses’ intellectual property is its life-blood, so protecting those valuable assets is crucial.
If disputes arise, whether you are on the receiving end of an accusation of infringement, or whether you are seeking to shut down an infringer, we deliver swift and knowledgeable response strategies, first-tier litigation, and trial services to our clients
Contact an attorney about intellectual property
The Intellectual Property Practice Group represents clients in intellectual property matters nationwide from its offices in Raleigh, Charlotte, and Wilmington. Our attorneys also represent clients in state matters involving intellectual property in North and South Carolina. Contact us today to see how we can assist you in obtaining and protecting your valuable intellectual property.