Meredith FitzGibbon Hamilton advocates for clients throughout North Carolina, where she focuses her practice on civil litigation, with an emphasis on employment law and defense of municipalities and public entities.
Meredith has successfully defended clients in a variety of civil litigation matters, including alleged constitutional and civil rights violations; employment discrimination; negligence; premises liability, including slip or trip and fall accidents; and general liability issues for a variety of public and private entities throughout North Carolina. Meredith has trial experience in the state courts, including small claims court. Since beginning her practice in 2016, Meredith has litigated matters in both state and federal courts, including the North Carolina Business Court. She has also successfully handled appeals before the North Carolina Court of Appeals. In addition, she has represented clients in alternative dispute resolution, including arbitration.
Meredith earned her law degree from Wake Forest University School of Law. She graduated from Clemson University with a B.A. in Political Science and a minor in History.
Cases or matters referenced do not represent the lawyer’s entire record. Each case is unique and must be evaluated on its own merits. The outcome of a particular case cannot be predicated upon a lawyer’s or a law firm’s past results.
- Obtained a dismissal in favor of a North Carolina municipality in a lawsuit alleging violations of the United States and North Carolina constitutions that was then upheld on appeal to the North Carolina Court of Appeals
- Obtained a partial dismissal in favor of a university with claims alleging violation of Title IX of the Education Amendments Act of 1972 brought by a student
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of a retailer in a lawsuit alleging a slip and fall on the retailers premises
- Defended private and public entity employers in charges of employment discrimination in violation of federal and state anti-discrimination laws, including Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Americans with Disabilities Act, and the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, submitted to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
ARTICLES, PRESENTATIONS, AND PUBLICATIONS
- Co-Author, “Peeling Back the Label: Current Trends in False Labeling Claims,” In-House Defense Quarterly, Spring 2018
- Author and Presenter of “What to Expect: Overview of Discrimination Claims under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964,” Cranfill Sumner & Hartzog 2018 Seminar: General Liability & Workers’ Compensation Law Update, November 1, 2018
Most Recent Posts
Ryan Bolick (Charlotte) and Meredith Fitzgibbon Hamilton (Charlotte) obtained summary judgment in the employer’s favor dismissing claims of age discrimination… Read More
Meredith FitzGibbon Hamilton has been selected to serve as the DRI Young Lawyers Vice-Liaison for the Lawyers’ Professionalism and Ethics Committee. Her term began March 27, 2019 and runs until December 31, 2019. … Read More
Cranfill Sumner & Hartzog LLP (CSH Law) attorneys were recently featured in the Spring 2018 edition of In-House Defense Quarterly. The article, “Current Trends in Handling False Labeling Claims,” discusses legal issues surrounding labeling of food items.… Read More
A Hot Question for 2018 due to The North Carolina Employee Fair Classification Act Employee misclassification is not a new… Read More
Six attorneys from Cranfill Sumner & Hartzog LLP (CSH Law) participated in the North Carolina Bar Association’s 10th Annual 4ALL Statewide Service Day on Friday, March 3. The statewide event is sponsored by the North Carolina Bar Association Foundation and the North Carolina Bar Association (NCBA).… Read More
Until recently, there has been inconsistency as to what constitutes a “joint employer” under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).… Read More
Russ Racine, Virginia Wooten, and Meredith FitzGibbon obtained Summary Judgment for a North Carolina real estate agent and her employer… Read More
Cranfill Sumner & Hartzog LLP (CSH Law) today announced that Meredith FitzGibbon has joined its Charlotte office as an Associate Attorney. FitzGibbon focuses her practice on civil litigation, with an emphasis on employment law and defense of municipalities and public entities.… Read More